The Literary Press Group of Canada, an association of 60 Canadian literary book publishers, is seeking a Marketing Manager.
This is a position for someone with an interest in working with Canadian literary publishers to deliver collective marketing campaigns, organize book tables and attend events, curate and write editorial content for the All Lit Up blog, manage social media, and assist with sales conferences.
The mandate of the LPG is to support the growth of Canadian literary culture. The themes of its strategic plan are to strengthen Canadian literary publishers, promote Canadian literary books, and embrace the diversity of LPG membership.
Execution of this mandate includes the Marketing Manager as the driving force behind the LPG’s direct-to-reader engagement and outreach. Using a variety of methods to bring literary books to as many readers as possible, the Marketing Manager works to enhance awareness of and appreciation for Canadian literary books, authors, and our member publishers. In addition to social media and event-based marketing campaigns, the Marketing Manager shapes the editorial direction and voice of All Lit Up, the only dedicated online bookstore and blog for Canadian literature. All Lit Up offers more than 10,000 print and ebooks from LPG members directly to readers.
The Marketing Manager reports to the Executive Director and works with a staff of four, specifically in:
- Establishing and maintaining a budget for annual marketing activities based on provided granting guidelines and contributions
- Planning and executing three collective marketing campaigns annually
- Organizing book tables and attending (or arrange staffing for) six trade shows/conferences/festivals annually
- Maintaining LPG’s online presence (website, social media accounts)
- All Lit Up branding and editorial: maintain an editorial calendar for a blog that is updated 6x/week as well as social accounts; writing content; creating advertising plans; and providing marketing & branding input in continued development of the site
- Designing & creating LPG branded materials
- Participating in the LPG sales conference seasonally and assisting the Sales Manager in this process
- Outreach to industry stakeholders (media/festival organizers/etc.) and field incoming queries in regards to marketing/publicity matters
- Presenting regular updates to board and membership
- Providing input on marketing activities for grant applications
- A university degree in a related field
- Courses or certificate in a publishing program an asset
- Experience with event planning and customer service
- Advanced skills with Creative Suite, Office, Adobe Acrobat
- Familiarity with CMS
- Experience designing marketing and promotional materials
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- Experience writing creative copy
- Experience managing a budget
- Experience with direct-to-consumer e-commerce and web analytics an asset
- Keen interest in reading and writing about Canadian literature
- Occasionally, must be able to lift boxes of 30lbs
This is a full-time, salaried position based in the LPG’s downtown Toronto office. Compensation includes medical, dental, optical, and long-term disability benefits through the Book and Periodical Council. Occasional travel is required. Professional development opportunities are available.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to LPG Executive Director Christen Thomas: email@example.com. Applications and queries will be kept confidential. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The deadline for applications is October 24, 2016.
The LPG is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.