The Literary Press Group of Canada, an association of 58 Canadian literary book publishers, is seeking an Engagement Manager.
This is a position for someone with an interest in working with Canadian literary publishers and industry experts to deliver professional development opportunities and newsletters to members, and engaging directly with readers through the LPG’s online bookshop and blog, All Lit Up.
The mandate of the LPG is to support the growth of Canadian literary culture. Execution of this mandate includes:
Direct engagement with readers.
Through All Lit Up (www.alllitup.ca), LPG offers direct online retail capacity and editorial space, as well as expanded social media and event-based marketing campaigns. The LPG seeks to enhance Canadians’ knowledge of and access to the full diversity of their literature. All Lit Up offers for sale nearly 10,000 Canadian literary print and ebooks from LPG members directly to readers.
The LPG offers an expanded suite of suite of professional education opportunities for literary presses, from seminars to webinars and curated industry intelligence.
The LPG produces ads for publishers and books ad space in magazines, handling the project from production to invoice. An ad kit with deadlines, rates, and ad specs is available to publishers.
The LPG creates custom catalogues for its member publishers using BookNet’s CataList, ranging from season to theme. Publishers’ ISBNs are uploaded every season and they have the option of a branded landing page.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working with a staff of five, the Engagement Manager runs the LPG’s professional development project, administers the web store, All Lit Up, and coordinates the ad project and CataList.
Specifically, the Engagement Manager:
- Meets with a committee and surveys publishers for feedback and ideas about previous and future professional development opportunities.
- Runs monthly webinars and other online professional development opportunities for publishers, sometimes in collaboration with other associations.
- Programs in-person seminars at industry conferences with regional associations.
- Programs in-person seminars at the LPG AGM, sometimes in collaboration with other associations.
- Attends industry professional development meetings to discuss what other associations are programming.
- Reviews industry and member news to write and distribute weekly newsletters to members.
- Administers the web store All Lit Up by routing orders to distributors and publishers, and handles customer service queries and issues
- Monitors analytics of All Lit Up and creates reports on gathered data.
- Administers promotions on All Lit Up.
- Provides digital marketing assistance for social media and blog content.
- Posts and contributes editorial content for All Lit Up.
- Offers design support for marketing campaigns.
- Coordinates the LPG’s CataList project.
- Coordinates the advertising project by updating the sales kit, maintaining a project spreadsheet, and occasionally designing ads.
- A university degree in a related field
- Courses or certificate in a publishing program an asset
- Experience with event planning
- Customer service experience
- Experience with direct-to-consumer e-commerce an asset
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- Effective design skills with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Experience with Google Analytics an asset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat
- Experience with CataList an asset
This is a full-time, salaried position based in the LPG’s midtown Toronto office. Compensation includes medical, dental, optical, and long-term disability benefits through the Book and Periodical Council.
Occasional national travel is required. Professional development opportunities are available.
The LPG is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to LPG Executive Director Christen Thomas: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications and queries will be kept confidential. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The deadline for applications is October 28, 2018.